Written by AACRAO LGBTQIA+ Caucus Chair Chris Dorsten
AACRAO Caucuses provide an opportunity for growth and professional development to its membership. As June is Pride Month, AACRAO joins many in celebrating this historic time. AACRAO's LGBTQIA+ Caucus strives to work for LGBTQIA rights and educate other
higher education professionals so that they can serve their students with an understanding of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. The Caucus welcomes any AACRAO member willing to advance LGBTQIA+ rights, regardless of sexual
identity or orientation.
The AACRAO LGBTQIA+ Caucus provided me with a safe space when I came out professionally in 2009, and the Caucus introduced me to other professionals and allies who made me feel safe to be me at AACRAO. Today, the Caucus still allows me
to grow and meet other professionals who share the same joys, fears, and challenges of being out in the workplace.
The LGBTQIA+ Caucus hosts a webinar/panel discussion on June 21, 2022, at 4 pm EST with members of the Caucus. Our panelists provide insight into their professional journey related to the Caucus, and panelists answer a series of questions to provide insight into their thoughts and feelings on the questions.
You may be asking yourself, why should I attend this webinar. Here are five reasons to attend this FREE opportunity:
- Learn more about the LGBTQIA+ Caucus
- Learn about members' history with the Caucus and why they are members.
- Hear of the support members have from the Caucus and how they support others.
- Hear how our members support their LGBTQIA+ community back at their institutions.
- There is a broad representation of members on the panel from both original and new members.
The session is open to all AACRAO member schools. As a precursor to the webinar, we also encourage all AACRAO members to try to accomplish all six of our Pride month activities.
- Join the AACRAO LGBTQIA+ Caucus.
- Find a pride parade or event near you to show your support.
- If your College or University has Safe Zone training, we encourage you to take the training.
- Hang up a Pride Flag in your office or at your home.
- Tell us how you support your LGBTQIA+ colleagues, family, and friends to showcase on the AACRAO LGBTQIA+ Caucus Page.
- Explore the history of the LGBTQIA+ Community and the contributions others have made that make Pride Month so important.
Join the Caucus on this informative webinar opportunity, and thank you for all of your support of the LGBTQIA+ Community.