Managing a team requires a multi-faceted approach—one that involves being a leader and guiding staff towards success.
Offering and attending training opportunities can have both short- and long-term benefits for all involved by providing staff growth, and also developing your own leadership ability and skills.
Here are just a few of the reasons professional development is important for both you and your staff:
1. Help! I’m New to the Field: Targeted training programs can provide answers to the “what” and “how” questions that come up as your employee learns the job.
2. Keep Existing Tools Sharp: As higher education evolves, keeping your staff informed helps ensure that your department develops new strategies, best practices, and tactics to stay on top of developing trends.
3. Retention – It’s Not Just for Students: Investing in your staff shows that you value their work and are interested in helping them grow in their position. This boosts morale and increases productivity. Happy employees are
more likely to stay with you.
4. Hone Your Skills: Professional development can keep your knowledge and skills current as technology and practices evolve. You’ll become a more efficient and effective team leader.
5. Job Satisfaction: Are you feeling underemployed or undervalued? An investment in training can bring forward new responsibilities in your job. By bringing updated skills and knowledge to the table, you can prove that you are prepared for new
challenges and are ready for career growth.
6. Aspire to a Greater Leadership Role: Attending a conference allows you to network with experts and practitioners who can provide guidance and insight into the next steps to reach your career goals.
To get all of this and much more—for yourself and your staff—register for AACRAO’s 106th Annual Meeting in New Orleans.