Transfer Student Success Work Group
Application Window Closed
Student transfer remains a key topic of national research and policy discussions. AACRAO's participation in these discussions spans decades of guidance on transfer student practice and policy for domestic and international students. In addition to recurring
research on transfer practice, AACRAO also recently participated in several national research initiatives related to transfer.
Student transfer will continue to serve as an AACRAO professional proficiency with high priority on our agenda. As the national conversation around transfers begins to pick up pace, we believe now is the time to develop best practices that will inform requirements for an institutional “transfer student success”
Building on AACRAO’s publications and research on transfer and related efforts, this work group will develop a preliminary proposal on what policies and practices need to be in place to support an institution being designated as an institution with best practices
for transfer student success.View the Report
AACRAO is determined to re-envision institutional practices to better serve transfer students.
Join the Updates List
Identifying Institutional Best Practices for Transfer Student Success
- To identify a list of transfer related policies and practices that indicate an institution is effectively focused on transfer student success.
- Building on AACRAO’s publications and research on transfer and related efforts, this work group will develop a preliminary proposal on what policies and practices need to be in place to support an institution being designated as an institution
with best practices for transfer student success. This proposal will be reviewed at a 2021 AACRAO convening on transfer and used to help finalize a list of identifiable practices and policies. This list will subsequently be used by AACRAO
to formally recognize institutions with an AACRAO designation.
- The workgroup will engage in the following activities and produce a final report to be reviewed at the 2021 convening:
- Research: Review all existing AACRAO publications, research, and professional development guidance related to transfer. Review other transfer related literature as needed to gain a holistic understanding of the current transfer landscape
around transfer issues such as prior learning assessment, technology, transfer student data, transfer credit policies and practices and case studies.
- Summarize and Recommend: Using the review of research, develop a 4-6 page green paper that includes the following:
- Brief summary of common themes in AACRAO’s transfer publications
- Summary of existing key points in recent research
- Identify any differences between the recommendations in AACRAO’s publications and the recent research
- Develop a list of proposed policies and practices that institutions must meet, or intend to meet in the near future, which will categorize the institution as a best practice institution
- Provide rationale for the list
- Draft an evaluation rubric for how institutions could apply to AACRAO to receive this designation
- How often
- Measures of meeting the requirements
- Process for reapplying
Deadline: 12.11.2020 | 5PM ET