Have you finished reading the new AACRAO publication, Helping Veterans Succeed: A Handbook for Higher Education Administrators? AACRAO Consulting is committed to helping AACRAO members and the higher education community with next steps to improve Veteran Affairs Services.
The book offers the following advice to help veterans succeed on campus:
- Assess institutional services for veterans,
- Conduct a VA audit of all documentation and data management processes, and
- Develop strong VA communication strategies.ï
A smooth transition from military life to student life requires trained, knowledgeable, and sensitive staff who understand the unique needs of veteran students. AACRAO Managing Consultant Michele Sandlin has experience in assisting campuses with information, tools, and services such as:
- Applying for and receiving veterans educational benefits
- Certification services
- Veteran student advising
- Veteran (and dependents) tuition assistance programs such as the Yellow Ribbon Program, the GI Bill(s), and Vocational Rehabilitation.
The success of veterans relies largely on the efficiency and effectiveness of student services. AACRAO Consulting can help your campus be prepared to successfully serve prospective and current veteran students (Sandlin, 2014). If you are interested in receiving more information regarding our VA or student services, please visit our website or contact us at 202-355-1056.