In November 2018 AACRAO began work on the development of a multi-pronged approach to identify and prepare a diverse group of enrollment leaders to take on leadership roles in Enrollment Management in North America and across the globe. Appropriately named, Leaders in Enrollment Advancing Diversity (LEAD) will serve as the umbrella for AACRAO leadership development programs focused on training individuals in the pipeline for chief enrollment management officer, university registrar, and chief admissions officer positions.
The first leadership development program housed under the AACRAO LEAD umbrella is ASCEND, a program designed to prepare mid-level professionals in the competencies required to take the next step in enrollment management leadership.
- advance the careers of program participants and provide them with important professional development;
- help AACRAO and regional associations develop a “deep bench” of talented, motivated leaders from diverse backgrounds; and
- provide individuals from identified under-represented groups in the association community (i.e., people of color, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people, people with disabilities) with support, access, an expanded network, and opportunities for leadership.
The ASCEND program is a unique year-long intensive experience comprised of two components:
- Program curriculum. Will focus on the development and application of senior-level enrollment and leadership competencies with an emphasis in four broad-based learning outcomes and their interconnectedness to diversity and inclusion:
- collaboration and consensus-building around decision making,
- change management,
- data analysis and leveraging technology, and
- financial savviness.
- Coaching. Each participant will be assigned a chief enrollment management officer that will serves as an additional support and guide. The coach will provide a customized experience to meet the individual needs and goals of the participant.
Participants should be prepared to engage with faculty and the program curriculum in a virtual class setting once a month for 2 hours, in addition to out of class readings and assignments. Participants will work on a capstone project throughout the program that will provide opportunities for applied learning.
Interested in Participating?
Participants will begin the year-long ASCEND leadership development program by attending the 29th Annual Strategic Enrollment Management Conference November 3-6, 2019, in Dallas, TX. Their program will culminate at AACRAO SEM 2020.
Ideal candidates will have a minimum of seven (7) years of leadership experience in one of the enrollment service areas, including but not limited to:
- Enrollment Management
- Registrar/Enrollment services
- Financial Aid
- Academic Support Services
A demonstrated commitment to the principles and actions of diversity and inclusion are also crucial to the success of this program.
The ASCEND Program Application for the first cohort is now open. This intensive year-long experience has a total value of $5820 but is offered to the first cohort at $1500. We strongly encourage you or others you know that qualify to consider submitting an application to be a participant in the inaugural cohort.